Exer-ball infomercial spokesperson Nick Lachey opened up to Rolling Stone about exactly what went down in his divorce from Jessica Simpson, putting to rest any lingering uncertainty regarding rumors that their marriage was a played-for-the-cameras sham, that her manager/father is a meddling creep, and that Simpson was sleeping around. Turns out, the rumors were mostly true:
· "I'll tell you how I knew my marriage was over: I was told."
· "Jessica and I began playing these parts (on their MTV reality show Newlyweds) even when we were by ourselves. It became a really blurred line. There was a question about what truly was our reality."
· "I don't pretend to understand (former father-in-law) Joe (Simpson). ... I don't know if he ever liked me. To this day I couldn't say. It was painful. Do I think Joe drove a rift between us? No. Was he an influence in our marriage? Absolutely."
· "I don't know if there were other men. But if she did cheat, it was the result of something bigger, not the reason we didn't work. ... Sometimes I think it would be easier if I had just walked in the house and found her in bed with a guy. That would be clear-cut. End of story. I wouldn't have to deal with the uncertainty of adultery."
Instead, Lachey was forced to live with that cuckoldry question mark hanging over his head like a Sword of Damocles. We can only imagine the unsettling seeds of doubt planted when he first caught a glimpse of a framed, 8x10 photo of another man's genitalia sitting on his wife's makeup counter, inscribed "Can't wait to put this back inside you! Love, Johnny K."
- The end, according to Lachey [USAToday.com]