The Weddings and Celebrations announcements in the 'New York Times' are a battlefield. Everyone there must stand alone. And no one, not even our Intern Alexis, can tell these people that they're wrong. They are trapped by their love and chained to each others' side.
Judging by the lackluster turn-out on the weddings page yesterday, we're guessing that the first weekend in November is not a very popular time to get married. (Take note, those hoping to book a wedding at that cliché Lower East Side wedding-factory, the Angel Orensanz Foundation!) We had a very Irish couple and Jeff Greene, a real estate mogul who was able to snag Mike Tyson as a best man, but otherwise not too much. However, there was a beacon of light in the otherwise bleak sea of UPenn grads and commodities traders. And that light was brave little freelancer <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/fashion/weddings/04donelson.html?adxnnl=1&ref=weddings&adxnnlx=1194283859-r6wdaxPEv8QsQskxIVF9Zg
"> Greg Lindsay.
Let's break it down!
Sophie Donelson & Gregory Lindsay
- The couple was married in Bermuda by the registrar general of Bermuda: +2
- Sophie was the senior writer at Elle Decor magazine in New York until last month. Next week, she is to become a senior editor at Blueprint, a women's magazine in New York published by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. For not being afraid of Martha: +4
- She graduated magna cum laude from Emerson: +2
- Greg is a freelance journalist in New York and a contributing writer at Fast Company, i.e. he writes trend pieces about blogs and often writes about airports! +5
- Greg has still managed to keep the weight off! +1
- The couple met after Greg "crashed a party for design industry journalists that she was attending": -3
- "He took her to a bistro, and if his dinner invitation did not clarify things, his midmeal kiss from across the table did." For kissing her in the middle of the meal, which must have involved a difficult, strategic lean across the table: +10.
- Their photo was taken by Deadspin.com honcho Will Leitch: +5
Total points: 26
Clearly it is time to update the Greg Lindsay Career Trajectory:
Producer, Hearst Interactive, Esquire
Contributing Editor, Folio
Staff, Women's Wear Daily
Freelance, Business 2.0
Freelance, Black Table
Sleeping in airports for three weeks, Ad Age
Part-time, substitute, backup blogging, FishbowlNY
Photo model, New York Times
Guy who worked with Peter Braunstein and didn't notice
Dude with six-figure book deal
Also he is apparently only 30.