Quick bullet observations:
- Joanne Lipman, Portfolio Editor in Chief, said, "I like my job. Si Newhouse loves the magazine. We're always expanding but I can't give you names." She also, surprisingly, didn't punch us.
- We sat at a table with the staff of Hip Hop Weekly. So very nice!
- Tavern on the Green is a horrendous aesthetic desecration. The waiters' outfits, though, are top notch.
- All of Time magazine left immediately after Rick Stengel accepted their award for Best Reinvention. That category, like everything else, doesn't actually mean anything.
- Esquire EIC Dave Granger quoted Zsa Zsa Gabor: "Honey, I haven't learned anything."
- The MCs were Jeremy Greenfield (7/23/82) and Courtney Barnes (9/25/84). He's the editor of min's b2b. She's the editor of PR news. Neither was funny, though both tried in a nice way.
- Our chicken was not moist.
- Is Portfolio so desperate for accolades that both Lipmann AND David Carey could take the whole morning off to sit through crap speeches and bad breakfast? Apparently, yes!