Two men who wear ties—Westchester dad and Time columnist Joe Klein and hot bloggy lawyer-liberal Salon boy Glenn Greenwald—are deep in a vicious tussle over a recent Klein column. In his Time column, Klein sort of made up an interpretation of a proposed bill and then went on a tirade about how America is pandering to terrorists. Now the liberals want Joe Klein to be fired! And Glenn Greenwald has written seven posts about Klein and how terrible Time magazine is in the last week.
- Joe was like, the Demon-crats want American courts to approve investigations of foreign terrorists!
- Then Glenn and everyone was just like "It just does not."
- Then Joe made it worse! And Glenn was all "what country do you live in?"
- And then Glenn was like "Time Magazine has done a superb service for the country by illustrating everything that is rancid and corrupt with our political media." MEOW.
- And Time put up a pretty iffy correction.
- And Joe was like shrug, I don't really know anything and can't figure this out.
- And the pitchfork-hoisting mob was like CRUCIFY HIM CRUCIFY HIM. Which is sort of a good point!
- Now poor Joe can't blog at all without his comments sections being taken over by calls for his big mistaken head!
- Except one commenter was like:
It's already a win-win for Time. The controversy drives extra traffic to Swampland. But all the extra eyeballs here are people who already know Joe is wrong and why. In the meantime, the print edition will "cover the controversy" and in exactly the same way that Genesis gets promoted to a reasonable scientific theory in classrooms, The RW misrepresentations will get elevated to a plausable alternative to the actual text of the bill. And Joe doesn't get laughed off the playground by his DLC buddies.
Which is definitely a good point.