Senator Clinton polls higher than Senator Obama in Santa Clara County, 43 percent to 27 percent, a Clinton campaign staffer told the Wall Street Journal. But we know what really counts in Silicon Valley: money. And when it comes to raising cash, Barack Obama's winning over the tech crowd. He raised about $500,000 just last weekend at a breakfast in Atherton. Wondering who was there? Here's a list of known Silicon Valley supporters for each candidate.
Not many in the Silicon Valley money crowd support Hillary Clinton. The notable exception is John Doerr, who now counts former VP Al Gore as a colleague at Kleiner Perkins.
The list is lengthier for Barack Obama.
- David Anderson, managing director, Sutter Hill Ventures
- John Thompson, Symantec CEO
- Gordon Eubanks, former Symantec CEO
- Yahoo exec Brad Garlinghouse
- Former California gubernatorial candidate, current Steve Jurvetson pal and Tesla Motors board member Steve Westly
- John Roos, CEO of law firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Google execs David Drummond and Marissa Mayer
- Google.org director Larry Brilliant
- YouTube founder Chad Hurley
- VC Doug Hickey of Hummer Winblad Venture Partners
- VC Stewart Alsop of Alsop Louie
- Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitielo
- Sequoia Capital venture capitalist Michael Moritz
- Craiglist founder Craig Newmark
- Netscape and Ning founder Marc Andreessen (who also supports Mitt Romney)
(Photo by azrainman)