MySpace only added 8 million users in the last year and in the U.S., the social network has actually lost users in the months since October, by some counts. Well, add another slew of quitters to the score. Wednesday was "International Delete Your MySpace Account Day," according to fed-up MySpace user Simon Owens. On his blog, Owens lists 10 reasons he started the movement. My favorite: "You're tired of seeing Tom stare out at you from millions of friends lists and just wish he would change his fucking profile picture." Here's the rest.
- You rarely log in to Myspace except to delete spam friend requests from nude webcam girls.
- You spend five minutes writing a wall post only to hit an error message when you try to post it because of all the website glitches.
- You're a girl who constantly gets marriage proposals from random men in the middle east.
- You visit someone's Myspace profile only to suddenly have music start blasting out of your speakers. Bonus points if it happens to you while you're at work.
- You have to make redundant clicks to perform simple tasks because Myspace keeps taking you to advertisement pages where you have to click on "return to myspace profile" in order to continue what you're doing.
- You visit someone's profile only to have your eyes bleed because of terrible page layout with non-matching designs and font colors.
- Your experience is hindered because of intrusive banner ads that either talk to you or try to reach out and block your view of what you're trying to look at.
- You read yet another news account about how some child predator using Myspace has abducted a little girl or that some hoax myspace account has caused a teenager to commit suicide.
- You're frustrated with the fact that Myspace doesn't allow you to post your contact info, meaning to contact someone you can only use Myspace's glitchy Instant Messenger, message/email system, or wall commenting.