Though still not guaranteed to go to series, plot and character details about the CW's planned Beverly Hills: 90210 remake, were revealed by Variety last night. The show will focus on a drunk old actress whose son moves in with her to take care of her. He brings his athletic wife and two kids, Annie (an "emo/theatre kid" oh! theatre!) and Dixon (troubled but smart "bad boy"). Also there's an internet girl who is an "aspiring socialite," a socially disgraced athlete, and a brother and sister duo whose last name is Silver, just like Brian Austin Green's David. It sounds awful and "hip" and "modern" (the internet barely, if ever, belongs on television), but hopefully creator/writer Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars) will add a little bit of a texture to the whole affair. More detailed character descriptions of the kids (who really cares about the adults?) after the jump.
The couple have two 16-year-olds: Daughter Annie and adopted son Dixon. Annie is an emo/theater kid who's desperate to fit in with the cool crowd. Dylan, er, Dixon is a supersmart bad boy who has lingering social and behavioral issues — and not an ounce of nerdiness in him.
According to the breakdowns, producers are open to actors of all ethnicities for the Dixon role, leaving open the possibility that the character won't be a white male.
As for the other teen denizens in the new "90210," writer Rob Thomas has also come up with:
* Silver, aka Daphne Silver, a wannabe socialite who hosts her own YouTube series. She becomes good pals with Annie and has a crush on Dixon (as well as the only Jewish girl at BevHills High with a black boyfriend — another hint that producers are considering making Dixon's character non-white).
* Max Silver, Daphne's 24-year-old brother, is a working man who manages the family movie theater at the Century City Mall (the new show's version of the Peach Pit, perhaps?) He seems forever on the verge of a nervous breakdown and appears to be harboring some secrets.
* Navid Shirazi produces the high school's student-run video newscast and is of Middle Eastern descent. He's the consummate high school politician.
* Ethan Ward is a likable jock who falls out of favor with the "in" crowd and ends up hanging with the "90210" crew.
* Naomi Bennett is Ethan's super-hot, ultra-rich ex-girlfriend. She appears to be a brat but will end up having more layers.