Is America ready for a Real World cast member to serve in Congress? Don't worry, it's just Kevin, from season one! Back then Kevin Powell was sporting a high top and being the serious guy in the New York house with Heather B and the southern girl and the model guy and the other guy. Now, Powell has shaved his head and declared his candidacy for Congress from Brooklyn. And if young people can't relate to this guy, all hope for political engagement is lost. Observe Powell's stellar set of pop culture credentials:
- The Real World season one, obviously. I mean, zeitgeisty to the extreme.
- He was a writer for Vibe magazine. All about pop culture things!
- He wrote a famous cover story about Tupac Shakur. You may have Tupac on one of your t-shirts!
- Headlining a Powell for Congress fundraiser tonight: Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock. Beat that, bitch.
- He's the preferred candidate of AfroPunk skaters.
- "Mr. Powell's campaign has advertised a mixtape they created featuring excerpts of his campaign speeches remixed on top of songs by Tupac, Talib Kweli, Mobb Deep and Kanye West."
Needless to say we're fuzzy on what Mr. Powell stands for politically, since we've already made our judgment in his favor based solely on his pop culture history. But he does support Barack Obama-the same guy that cool young people elsewhere support! Fuck you, Jesse Helms' ghost! We knew Kevin was in for big things way back when he was the most businesslike guy in the house: