- RealNetworks and Viacom subsidiary MTV closed down the entire New York office of their joint Rhapsody America online music venture, a tipster tells us, sending the roughly 25 staffers packing, albeit with severance. A lone Rhapsody staffer transferred to RealNetworks' New York office. The service will continue operating, via Real's west coast offices.
- The same tipster said more Viacom cuts are coming today. Someone else told us previously that MTV would lay off around 300 today.
- CNBC is said to be laying off up to 80 staff as soon as today, its first cuts under the $500 million cost reduction announced by parent NBC in October. [Post]
- NBC Universal cut about 30 people in advertising support and research nationwide, sparing staff at its successful cable networks. [TV Week]
- We're told, anonymously, that the Arizona Republic, Gannett's second-biggest newspaper, laid off 20 or more newsroom staff.