A mysterious show known as the 2008 People's Choice Awards was broadcast Wednesday on CBS, selecting The Dark Knight, 27 Dresses, Will Smith, Reese Witherspoon and others among its many honorees.
Apparently celebrating its 35th anniversary, the awards were based on tabulations from hoi polloi votes flooding this Web site. In recognition of this anonymous constituency, many of the winners, including Bale, Witherspoon, Ellen DeGeneres and Carrie Underwood, appeared live on the broadcast to accept bulky glass statuettes and offer thanks to whoever noticed whatever it was they did to earn the accolade. Bale also singled out his Dark Knight co-star Heath Ledger, with whom he shared the prize for "Favorite On-Screen Match Up" and who most certainly would have attended himself had he not had better things to do.
Other winners included:
· Favorite Comedy Movie: 27 Dresses
· Favorite Drama and Independent Movie The Secret Life of Bees
· Favorite Family Movie: WALL-E
· Favorite Male Movie Star: Will Smith
· Favorite Female Movie Star: Reese Witherspoon
· Favorite Leading Man: Brad Pitt
· Favorite TV Drama: House
· Favorite TV Comedy: Two and a Half Men
· Favorite TV Game Show: Deal or No Deal
· Favorite TV Drama Diva: Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
· Favorite Male Singer: Chris Brown
· Favorite Female Singer: Carrie Underwood
And many, many more, viewable here. Congratulations (we think?) to the winners; may their Oscar/Emmy/Grammy campaigns steam forth from here.