Despite editor Graydon Carter's earlier claims of a smaller Vanity Fair Oscar party on Sunday night, the event permit filed with the CIty of West Hollywood, which CityFile dug up, says they're expecting a thousand people.
When Carter first announced that it would bring its usual Oscar party back this year, he said they were going to aim for a guest list of 650 instead of the customary 1,000-plus names. The move to pare down invites made sense given the recessionary times and the recent not-so-opulent mood at Conde Nast. But deciding who would get cut from the list — which, while full of celebrities, also includes more than a few advertisers who are currently being begged to buy ad pages — would have been a mighty chore.
This is the first year Vanity Fair is throwing the bash at the Sunset Tower Hotel (last year's party was cancelled amidst the writers strike; before that it was thrown for fourteen years at the restaurant Morton's). It's the same place where the magazine has thrown its Golden Globes party, so the party planners are familiar with the space. Morton's had a parking lot where they could set up a tent. But having spent some time at the Sunset Tower, it's difficult to imagine 1,000 people cramming into the hotel's lounge, bar and pool area all at once.