What is catastrophic about this app?
- It is a mere "weekly sampler."
- It is a "weekly sampler" from "all [annoying] branches of the [Eggers/]McSweeney's family" (emphasis added), including The Believer, McSweeney's Quarterly, and the DVD quarterly Wholphin, plus books by various annointed authors.
- It is a "weekly sampler" that you pay $6 for.
- It is a "weekly sampler" that you pay $6 for that nevertheless expires after six months.
- It is officially called "The Small Chair." Oh, so cute.
- Typing "Small Chair" into iTunes gets you nothing, because this app is actually just called "Mc Sweeney's."
- The app bills itself as "a half-year of surprises, delivered straight to your pocket."
- From the FAQ: "Q. Why do I swipe right-to-left to turn the page, but then the page flips upwards? A. Yeah, that's kind of weird."
- Ibid.: "Q: Why do some pages scroll and other pages flip? A. We're trying to echo the original format of the content, with a balance between convenience and design. Text from the Internet Tendency (and other informational bits) scroll; books and stories flip."
How much do we have to pay to make sure no McSweeney's ever gets on our iPhone? Is There An App For That?