The "first guy in line" story is usually pretty funny. These guys are wackos! But Greg Packer, who's been waiting in line for an iPad at Apple's Fifth Ave. store since Tuesday, is way more than a crazed Apple fan.
That's retired Long Island highway maintenance worker Greg Packer in a Mashable video. They mention Packer's notoriety for being first in line for things, but Silicon Alley Insider is more to the point: Greg Packer is "The Same Stupid Guy Who's First In Line For Everything."
* The Super Bowl victory rally for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006.
* The Super Bowl victory rally of the New York Giants,
* The 2005 release of the novel Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
* Bill Clinton's first book signing.
* Greeting President George W. Bush after his inauguration.
* The iPhone launch.
The world is full of all kinds of interesting people. One of them is Greg Packer of Huntington, N.Y., who apparently lives to get his name on the AP wire and in other media. It works: A Nexis search turned up 100 mentions in various publications… Mr. Packer is clearly eager to be quoted. Let's be eager, too - to find other people to quote.
Greg Packer! Only in America, folks.