Jerry Douthett wouldn't get his severely infected toe examined. Then one night, after drinking "five or six beers" and "huge margaritas," he passed out and his dog, Kiko, crawled into bed and ate his big toe. It saved Jerry's life.
I had probably five or six beers," Douthett said. "Then we went next door. They have these huge margaritas, think they're 32 ounces, and I killed it."
Soon after killing it at the bar, the couple headed home and Jerry passed out. That's when Kiko stepped in and took control, since Jerry "probably never would have gone in" to see a doctor about his infected toe:
I woke up and the dog was laying alongside my foot, then I looked and blood was everywhere," Douthett told 24 Hour News 8. "I ran to the bathroom and screamed for her (Rosie) to come in. I went to the bathroom, rinsed it off and it was gone."
Jerry is now okay and recovering, and says he has stopped drinking. Kiko is under observation by authorities just to make sure he is not "a menace."