A tornado touched down this evening, causing widespread reports of destruction on Twitter. (And, reportedly, some destruction in Brooklyn.) Scary! Let's survey the damage.
The Tornado touched down around 5:30pm, sparking chaos, strong rain, and thousands of tweets. The Village Voice's Running Scared blog has a good round-up of citizen journalists reporting from the scene of the Tornado.
- The tornado blew out the window of NYU Local founder Cody Brown!
- Denise Davila spotted this overturned truck!
- Here is a good video from inside the tornado, at Neighborhoodr.
- And a report from yours truly, who was hanging out at his house in South Brooklyn when the tornado struck:
I was sitting at my desk, silently weeping because I had to start blogging in 15 minutes and I had nothing to write about. Then I looked out the window and the sky darkened. The wind started roaring and a giant tree branch fell into my patio. It was scary and maybe lasted three minutes.
- The Times reports that a lot of trains are delayed, and a tree fell on a car.
- NBC New York reports one person was killed by a falling tree. No other injuries reported.
- And here's an amazing video of the storm rolling through Brooklyn:
Whew. Congrats, New York. We survived a tornado!