Do you people love Halloween or what? We put out the call last week for your best Halloween costumes and we sure received some spectacular entries. Here are the best of the best, and our spectacular winner.
When we decided to do a costume contest, I was concerned we wouldn't get enough good submissions. Well, that's the last time I'll ever doubt the Gawker commentariat again, because you all came through in a big way and submitted some awesome outfits for our consideration. There were so many outstanding entries, in fact, we're awarding honorable mentions in a number of categories. All of these people get a gold star (if they didn't have one already) and a round of applause.
- Most Ironically Sexy: Eastland-87 as Sexy Pencil
- Grossest: DCGawk as Jamie Lee Curtis for Activia
- Overly Ornate Cartoon Character: Melissa6 as Krang
- Most Self-Referential: Velma as Christine O'Donnell's Drunk Halloween
- Best Picture for a Homemade Costume: Garfep as a Robber
- Most Literary: Marclax3 as Jabberwocky
- Most Patriotic, Rally to Restore Sanity Category: Disco Infiltrator as Statue of Liberty
- Most iPad Friendly: JordanFindley79 as Angry Birds
- Jezebel Award for Accurate Portrayals of Feminist Icons: Helio as Rosie the Riveter
- Hottest and Coldest: JeffTCarroll('s sister-in-law) as Russel Brand and Katy Perry
- Most Awesome Outdated Movie Reference: Amelia-Bedelia as Large Marge
- Best Group Costume, Movie Category: Reader Tracy and son as Sally and Jack Skellington
- Best Group Costume, Music Category: ChuckMcBuck and friend as Hall & Oates
- Most Ineligibly Adorable: Harry Cook as a Chicken
- Most Eligibly Adorable: George as Iceman
- Best Rendition of Something Annoying: SavesTheDana as the Microsoft Paperclip
- Best '80s Cartoon Costume, Unisex Category: Tomqvaxy and friend as Cobra Commander and Baroness
- Best '80s Cartoon Costume, All-Girl Category: FelineFrauline and friends as The Misfits
- The Oh-No-She-Didn't Award: WhisperPitch as the Human Centepede
- The Valleywag Award for Geekiest Costume: MonPetitChou as Firefox
- Best Natural Disaster: Reader Amber as the BP Oil Spill
- Most Hunger-Inducing: Reader Paul as Cheese Balls
- Best Meme: SarahFrank as Selleck Waterfall Sandwich
But there can only be one winner, folks. This year, the prize—a copy of Halloween on DVD, a bag of candy corn, and our admiration—goes to a costume that was amazing in both concept and execution. It has all the trappings of a perfect Halloween costume: a well-known icon, a clever twist, and impeccable design. We're proud to announce that this year's winner is KristinInAthens as Middle-Aged Barbie.
Congratulations, Kristin. Email us to redeem your prize. Thanks to everyone for entering. And if you want to win next year's contest, you better start planning now!