It's Friday, the last day of Bomb Week. Pray for peace! Today in bombing news: doubts cast on the near-miss Yemen mail bomb; another several bomb scares; and a suicide bombing.
- The French interior minister made international news yesterday by saying that one of the Yemeni mail bombs was a mere 17 minutes from exploding when it was defused. U.S. officials are downplaying that, saying "that's not our understanding." Which, to be fair, could mean anything. But the bombs were on a timer, "designed to be triggered by an alarm set on a cellphone attached to a syringe filled with chemical material."
- A Delta flight from Amsterdam to Mumbai made an emergency landing yesterday after a bomb scare. Nothing was found. Better safe than sorry.
- The German embassy in Copenhagen was evacuated due to a bomb scare this morning. Nothing found.
- There was also that bomb scare at Marlboro County High School in Bennettsville, NC. Yemeni? Not that we know of.
- A suicide bomber at a mosque in Pakistan blew himself up during prayers today, killing "at least 50 people."