A fourth grader at DC's Thomson Elementary school was charged yesterday with possession of a controlled substance after hooking up four classmates with cocaine on school grounds. Apparently some of the kids snorted it, while others swallowed it, which made them sick. From The Washington Post:
When the students became ill, a teacher spoke with the student suspected of distributing a substance and alerted the main office. The students were evaluated by a school nurse and EMTs before being taken to the hospital. School officials said police later determined that the substance was cocaine.
The paper spoke to Susan E. Foster from the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, who said, "It is unusual to have elementary school students using cocaine." We should hope so!