Osama Bin Laden was killed in a firefight with U.S. forces in Pakistan on Sunday. Here's the latest news: DNA confirmation hasn't been completed; the U.S. has a photo; inside Osama's compound, and more.
- Woman Used as OBL's Human Shield More details are emerging about the firefight that ended in Bin Laden's death. Obama's counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan gave a press conference about the operation and confirmed that Bin Laden hid behind one of his wives: "She served as a shield — this is my understanding — when she fought back — when there was an opportunity to get to bin Laden — she was positioned in a way that she was used as a shield." A huge dick until the very end, that Osama!
- Who Gets the Reward?The FBI has updated its most wanted list with a big red "Deceased" over Bin Laden. There was a $27 million reward for information, but no word on who might lay claim on it, if anyone.
- "Trove" of Documents: According to the Times: "American intelligence officials said that the team removed a large trove of documents and materials and that the C.I.A.was just beginning to go through it."
- That's Racist: Of course, Osama Bin Laden's death is being taken by some as an occassion to be virulently racist. Indian-American Rapper Heems of the duo Das Racist has been dozens of the most charming reactions on twitter. Sample: "Navy seals shot bin laden in the head. Fuck that dune coon."
- Everything You Need to Know: about Osama's burial at sea, via Slate.
- One of the Happiest Guys today: is Oregon teacher Gary Weddle, who swore not to shave until Osama was caught. He's now clean-shaven.
- The Confirmation is Ongoing: Obama must have been 100% certain Bin Laden was killed to make his historic press conference. But according to CNN, as of 7:30 am DNA matching on samples of Bin Laden's body has not yet been completed. The matching will be done using the brain of Bin Laden's unnamed sister, whose body the FBI (creepily!) subpoenaed after she died of cancer in Boston several years ago. (Bin Laden's body was buried at sea.) Update: DNA testing confirms Bin Laden's identity.
- Will We See Photos?There are, however, "photographs of the body with a gunshot wound to the side of the head that shows an individual that is not unrecognizable as bin Laden." There's been no decision whether to release the photos, but already a horrendously bad fake death photo has fooled dozens of news organizations.
- 22 People Killed Or Captured During the Raid. Details are leaking out about the raid on Bin Laden's compound in the northern Pakistan town of Abbottabad. According to Marc Ambinder, Navy SEALS were flown in to do the job. The raid lasted 40 minutes and left 22 people in the compound dead or captured.
- Inside Osama Bin Laden's Compound ABC has the first look inside Osama's stronghold, including shots inside a blood-strewn bedroom. And there's video.
- The Raid Was Live Tweeted: This random IT consultant live-tweeted the raid on Bin Laden's compound. He's since been overwhelmed with media and over 40,000 followers. "Bin Laden is dead. I didn't kill him. Please let me sleep now," was his last Tweet.
- How to Celebrate?: Raucous celebrations outside the White House and at Ground Zero last night. At the White House: a soundtrack of patriotic pop songs and a "America, Fuck Yeah" sign. At Ground Zero: chants of "USA, USA!" and "Yes we did." Not everyone is celebrating. David Sirota at Salon writes the celebrating is "a sign we may be inadvertently letting the monsters win."
- Rate OBL's Compound: Bin Laden's compound has been added to Google Maps and has 35 reviews.
- Who Ratted OBL Out?: Looks like it could have been Gitmo detainee Abu Faraj al-Libbi, a senior Qaeda officer. U.S. intelligence tracked down Bin Laden after learning the location of one of his courier, who happened to be a "trusted assistant" of al-libbi.
- Bin Laden Assassination Headed to Big Screen:There's already a movie coming out about the assassination of Bin Laden by Hurt Locker director Kathryn Bigelow. (It was in the works already, and is about a previous, failed assassination attempt.)
- Osama in Hell: Probably the most shocking thing to emerge: The person running the @osamainhell Twitter account is pretty funny.
[Image via AP]