Congratulations are in order for Don Gorske, 57, America's saddest man, who earned his very own story in his hometown Fond du Lac (Wis.) Reporter yesterday, on the eve of his consumption of his 25,000th Big Mac sandwich.
What did we learn about Don?
- Don Gorske ate his first Big Mac on May 17, 1972, at the McDonald's on Military Avenue in Fond du Lac. Today, he'll eat his 25,000th Big Mac right there at the same location. "A person like me, I just don't change too much," Don said.
- "It's pretty much two Big Macs a day. When I can travel to sporting events, I like to take my Big Mac along," he added.
- "Tuesday also will be Gorske's retirement party. He has spent 25 years as a scheduling officer at Waupun Correctional Institution."
- Don ate his 10,000th Big Mac in 1990. A tornado hit his house that year.
- He sure is looking forward to eating that 25,000th Big Mac today. Although he won't necessarily be able to taste it; "since birth his taste buds have fluctuated in sensitivity, possibly worsening when he worked inside tanks at a factory."
- "The need to keep track of his Big Mac consumption is part of the obsessive-compulsive disorder he has dealt with since childhood."