267 27 years of marriage, Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth are splitting up so they can marry all the members of REM, who also just split up. Ha. But no, seriously, they were both just really eager to try out OKCupid.
To reiterate how long these two have been together, I'll tell you the exact year they were married and put it in bold: 1984. What was going on in 1984?
- Ronald Reagan was still in his first term.
- Duran Duran was at the top of their game.
- Michael Jackson was still cool.
- Nobody could foresee the end of the Soviet Union.
- The Replacements released Let It Be, which was the best American rock record of the 1980s. Hands down! You need to buy that.
- The Apple MacIntosh was released. Steve Jobs! Steve Jobs!
- Mark Zuckerberg was born. Facebook! Facebook!
- Everything in George Orwell's novel was coming true, and there was no turning back.
The Sonic Youth band will continue on with their tour of South America, but they don't really know what they're going to do after that. Here's an idea: Keep the band together. Here's another idea: Break up the band.
[Image via AP]