Zachary Quinto comes out of the closet in about the most casual way possible. Shannen Doherty gets married for the third time. Lindsay Lohan faces a year in jail. Sunday gossip wants to close its Citibank account.
- Star Trek's Zachary Quinto came out of the closet (as we suggested he should last year!) in New York Magazine, and not even with one of those I'M A BIG GAY CLAY AIKEN covers! No, he just kind of went for it in a dependent clause—set aside with (implied) commas!—while answering a question about performing in Angels in America:
Doing that play made me realize how fortunate I am to have been born when I was born. And to not have to witness the decimation of an entire generation of amazingly talented and otherwise vital men. And at the same time, as a gay man, it made me feel like I - there's still so much work to be done. There's still so many things that need to be looked at and addressed. The undercurrent of that fear and that, you know, insidiousness still is swarming. It's still all around us. To revisit that world at all, it took a toll on me. It definitely was an incredible experience but it was really daunting at times.
- So, good show to Zachary Quinto, who we think made a good Spock and comes across as a nice guy in the interview. Update: Commenter morrowland points us toward this post on Quinto's website, in which he attributes his decision to the suicide of Jamey Rodemeyer:
when i found out that jamey rodemeyer killed himself - i felt deeply troubled. but when i found out that jamey rodemeyer had made an it gets better video only months before taking his own life - i felt indescribable despair. i also made an it gets better video last year - in the wake of the senseless and tragic gay teen suicides that were sweeping the nation at the time. but in light of jamey's death - it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it - is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality. [...] jamey rodemeyer's life changed mine. and while his death only makes me wish that i had done this sooner - i am eternally grateful to him for being the catalyst for change within me.
- [NYM, ZacharyQuinto.com]
- Shannen Doherty got married for the third time on Saturday, exchanging rings with photographer Kurt Iswarienko, who gives off a, like, "French rugby player" vibe. The wedding was filmed for her upcoming WeTV show, The Shannen Doherty Project, in which she reveals that Charmed was actually a documentary. [People]
- "At first I was quite Trauerkloß," Scarlett Johansson tells German magazine Gala about her divorce from Ryan Reynolds, "After about a week, I'm constantly running to the gym - I wanted to impoverish me on the cross trainer." Heh! We're exactly the same way! [Gala via NYDN]
- Lindsay Lohan could face a year in jail over probation violations, unless she digs a tunnel out through the sewer system and swims to Mexico. [TMZ]
- Also in Lindsay news: DJs at the clubs where she parties are not allowed to play any Pitbull songs, because she is suing him over referencing her in a song. In solidarity we're going to put on Rebelution. [Page Six]
- On Friday, funny-hatted royal Princess Beatrice graduated from Goldsmiths College, where she majored in potions under Horace Slughorn. What's next? Murdering the four people in front of her in the line of succession, probably. [People]
- Rick Ross suffered two seizures—on two different planes, like a boss—over the weekend. He's in stable condition, but didn't perform on Friday night as he was scheduled to. [TMZ]
- Trace Cyrus, Miley Cyrus' mall-goth brother, is engaged to former Disney star Brenda song, despite his haircut. [People]