Who says you have to leave your living room to have a big adventure? Pee-wee Herman is on Top Chef tonight, and we're live-blogging the show in the comments. Join us!
And all I can say is: It's about time Pee-wee showed up. Bravo's been teasing us with previews clips of his guest stint on this show for over three months now. I could have ridden a little red bicycle all the way from Connecticut to the Alamo in less time than that! But the upside is, the wait given me plenty of time to think up rules for a Pee-wee-themed drinking game for us to play while we're live-blogging the show tonight. So here they are:
- Drink any time Pee-Wee says, "I know you are, but what am I?," "Why don't you marry it?," "Mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho," or "That's my name don't wear it out."
- Drink whenever he makes any of the following sounds: "La la la!," "ha ha!," "heh heh heh!" – or any combination/permutation of those, such as: "La la la … heh-heh. Ha! La la."
- Optional twist: For each of these rules, drink … tequila! (I made this optional because you could get pretty fucked up playing this came with tequila.)
And while I'm in an instructive mood, I might as well take this opportunity to offer this quick primer on how to participate in this live blog, for the sake of any newcomers out there: Just tune in to the show (which airs at 10 Eastern on Bravo); grab your computer keyboard, laptop or other Internet-connected device; and start posting quips and observations about tonight's episode in the comments section directly below this post. Dozens of your fellow commenters will be doing the same. It's like one big, happy, communal …. playhouse!
We sure had fun playing here during our last live blog. Here's a selection of my favorite comments from that one. And here's a preview of a few things we'll see as we live blog tonight, based on what I've seen in Bravo's promo clips:
- In the quickfire challenge, the cheftestants will have to make a fun, creative pancake dishes—like the smiley-face one produced by Pee-wee's breakfast machine.
- In the elimination challenge, the chefs will ride around San Antonio on red bicycles, gathering food for a meal they'll serve Pee-wee at the Alamo. When this show's challenge designers do Pee-wee themes, they really don't hold back, do they?
- As she rides her Pee-wee bike, Grayson will shout: "I wish I had a fucking oven mitt!" Could this become one of those memorable Top Chef quotes, like, "Honor the protein"? Who knows? Let's be sure to drink when we hear it tonight, in any case.
OK gang, it's almost 10 pm—time to let down your hair! Mister H. is so excited, 'cause all his friends have been invited, to go wacky… at Live Blog Playhouse!