While George Zimmerman still has not been charged in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, his public defense — as espoused by his lawyer and family members — rests on the fact that Zimmerman was involved in a physical altercation with Martin. New evidence, however, contradicts that version of events. First there was the security camera footage from the night Zimmerman claims Martin beat him senselessly: to most who watched the video, Zimmerman appeared unscathed.
Now Richard Kurtz, the Miami funeral director who examined Trayvon Martin's body, says the body "showed no signs of a violent brawl."
We could see no physical signs like there had been a scuffle [or] there had been a fight. The hands — I didn't see any knuckles, bruises or what have you, and that is something we would have covered up if it would have been there.
In the strongest statement issued, Kurtz says Trayvon Martin "looked perfectly normal to me when he came in and the story just does not make sense that he was in this type of scuffle or fight in anything that we could see." CBS has video of the interview with Kurtz.
Furthermore, EMS documents obtained by the New York Daily News Friday indicate that a second ambulance was canceled. It had been called for the "second victim" who was "not a gunshot." Whatever injuries Zimmerman did sustain in the apparent fight must not have been sufficient to merit emergency medical response.
[Image via AP]