Masafumi Nagasaki is seventy-six years old. He lives, naked, as a hermit on a hostile Japanese island. He also sounds like he used to be a total hipster.
Nagasaki rises each day and does stretches in the sun. Reuters reports that he eats (mostly boiled rice cakes) "whenever hunger strikes," which is when most people eat. He travels an hour by boat once a week to buy food and, as none of the water on the island is potable, drinking water. He puts on clothing for that trip, but, otherwise, nuh-uh, not having it.
Prior to setting up shop on his sun-scorched, typhoon plagued, generally inhospitable-sounding island, Nagasaki "worked briefly as a photographer," before getting mixed up in what Reuters refers to, without elaboration, as "the murkier side of the entertainment industry."
He lives off money sent to him by his family.
He is a crust punk nation of one.
For a brainteaser, see if you can correctly attribute the statements from the list of quotations below to their original speakers. Some of the quotes are pulled from the Reuters story. The rest come courtesy of the CrustyPunks blog, which features short profiles of crusties encountered in New York's Tompkins Square Park.
1. "I don't do what society tells me, but I do follow the rules of the natural world."
2. "You can't beat nature so you just have to obey it completely."
3. "Cops are gay."
4. Finding a place to die is an important thing to do, and I've decided here is the place for me,"
5. "If you put on clothes, you'll feel completely out of place."
6. "I did a little bit of modeling just for fun and cause like people were asking to take my pictures. It was fun though definitely."
7. "I got a hundred dollars from Denzel Washington in Venice Beach, California."
8."To die here, surrounded by nature - you just can't beat it, can you?"
9. "Just turned eighteen and I was working at Panera Bread. Hated my life."
10. "My dog's nuts just dropped, so he's all about barking when people are walking around and stuff."
Nagasaki: 1, 2, 4, 5, 8
Crust punks: 3, 6, 7, 9, 10
Reuters offers a slideshow of the "leather"-skinned (their words) Nagasaki parading around his island home in the buff, if that's your kind of thing.
[Image via Shutterstock]