The first man was severely burned and unconscious; the second man suffered less extensive burns. "It takes a lot of courage," said Fire Chief Vince Colavitti. "He saw one of his coworkers in trouble and he jumped in after him"
The pair were working on a roof replacement job at Swepco Tube on 1 Clifton Boulevard in Clifton when the roof gave in, and one of them fell into a tank with a 40 to 70 percent nitric acid solution used for cleaning metal tubes. The second worker immediately jumped in after him.
Emergency services arrived shortly thereafter and rushed the two injured men to nearby Weasel Brook Park, from which they were airlifted to St. Barnabas Medical Center. Three additional employees who were at the scene and assisted in the rescue were also transported to the hospital.
According to local fire officials, the construction is under investigation for lacking the necessary permits.