Authorities in Broward County, Florida, are investigating the death of a man who won a local reptile store's bug-eating contest, which required contestants to eat dozens of live insects and worms for the chance to take home a python.
32-year-old Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach was declared the winner of Friday night's contest at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, but he soon started to feel unwell. According to the Broward County sheriff's office, Archbold began to vomit the untold number of cockroaches he consumed before collapsing.
He was rushed to Broward Health North hospital where doctors pronounced his death.
Other contestants consumed a similar volume of insects but none had experienced similar medical problems. An official cause of death is pending.
[photo via Shutterstock]