Fire That Left Dozens Homeless Blamed on Man Who Was Preparing to Eat a Dead SquirrelS

Officials from the fire department in Holland Township, Michigan, say a fire that left 32 apartments uninhabitable was caused by a resident burning fur off a dead squirrel using a propane torch.

The unnamed man, who lived on the third floor of Clearview Apartments, was reportedly preparing the squirrel for consumption when his deck caught fire.

The flames quickly traveled through the roof to eight other apartments, completely destroying their contents. An additional 24 units were rendered unsafe for habitation by smoke and water damage.

None of the residents were harmed, but a firefighter broke his toe according to Fire Chief Jim Kohsel. The American Red Cross is caring for the temporarily displaced by providing them with shelter and clothing.

[screengrab via WOOD-TV]