Not long after Bloomberg's news conference this afternoon, during which he announced that ConEd could have power restored in most of Manhattan by midnight, did the cries of joy begin eruptnig across Twitter.
ConEd just robocalled. I have power! Fingers crossed they are right.
- tara flanagan (@taraflanagan) November 2, 2012
ConEd just called to tell me I HAVE THE POWER!!!
- Ashley Van Buren (@avb) November 2, 2012
A coworker who lives in Chelsea just got a call from ConEd: power restored! "We thank you for your patience."
- Emily Steel (@emilysteel) November 2, 2012
But, like all highs, the the withdrawals soon followed.
- Jonathan Balkin (@JonBalkin) November 2, 2012
Coned trolling me with a robocall saying my power is restored while standing in my dark apt
- Justin Lintz (@lintzston) November 2, 2012
Coned stop playing with my feelings! #fakerobocalls
- Diana Gonzalez (@dianagster) November 2, 2012
Shortly thereafter, ConEd issued their official apology, stating that the robocalls were a mistake.
- Con Edison (@ConEdison) November 2, 2012