Yesterday was deemed a day to appreciate your guns in America, and boy did we. Five people were shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio and Indiana. These were not, however, the only instances of gun violence yesterday.
As happens everyday, numerous people were either injured or killed by guns on "Gun Appreciation Day," be it on purpose or accidentally. Spanning Alaska to Florida, here are those people:
- A 14-year-old suburban Atlanta boy shot and killed his 15-year-old brother while playing with their mother's handgun.
- A 26 year old was shot and killed while driving in San Francisco.
- A woman in an El Paso County, Texas shooting range was hit in the knee by a bullet that ricocheted off a trash can.
- Two women were shot to death in a Dallas-area home.
- Two women were injured after someone opened fire at a crowded soccer field in Las Vegas.
- A 15-year-old girl was shot while sleeping in her bed when her Anchorage home was shot at.
- A 7-year-old boy in Tallahassee shot a 5 year old with a gun he found in a 22-year-old relative's room.
- A Huntsville woman shot her boyfriend after the two had an argument.
- A 23-year-old man died after being accidentally shot in a Greshman, Oregon home.
- A Cleveland father has been charged in connection with the death of his 6-year-old daughter from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- A man was found shot dead in a parking lot in Greenville County, South Carolina.
- Two people were shot and killed outside an inn in Hampton, Virginia.
- A Colorado Springs man was driven to the hospital with a gunshot wound.
- One man was shot at a Martin Luther King Jr. parade in Jackson.
- An 11-year-old boy was shot in an Oklahoma City apartment complex.
- Police believe gang violence is to blame for the shooting death of one man in Santa Ana, California.
Update: A few shootings that had taken place on the previous Saturday were initially included incorrectly; they've since been removed.
[Image by Jim Cooke]