The polling wizards at Quinnipiac University have released a new poll assessing Americans' opinions of a wide array of hot button issues, including women in combat, gun control, and abortion. While there are some surprises here, there are also some major "ya doi"s. So let's get into it.
- 56% of Americans support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons.
- 56% support a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- Shockingly, 92% of Americans support universal background checks.
- Unsurprisingly, the data shows more Democrats than Republicans support gun control.
- Stricter gun control laws are also much more popular in the northeast and midwest than in the south and west.
The poll also reveals that Americans have no freaking clue where the President or the NRA stand on gun control. 46% of Americans said the NRA reflects their views on guns. So, nine in 10 people support universal background checks but nearly half say they agree with the NRA which opposes said background checks. Great work, American public.
- 56% of Americans support allowing illegal immigrants to stay in the country and work their way toward citizenship.
- While the majority of every racial group supports immigrants being allowed to stay, surprisingly the highest amount of support comes from the black community, at 77%.
Women in Combat
- 75% of Americans support a woman's right to serve in a military combat role, should she so choose.
- 77% percent of women said they support women in combat roles.
- 73% of men agree.
[Images via AP]