The Washington Post continues its aggressive reporting on Donald Trump’s charitable contributions, most recently putting the screws to the presumptive Republican nominee’s son, Eric Trump. “It’s disgusting. It is so disgusting what’s happening,” Eric complained last week. “I’m saving dying children. We do tremendous good for people. And you’re sitting there tearing us apart.”
“My father has given me and my foundation hundreds of thousands of dollars,” Eric told the Post. “And he’s given other charities millions and millions and millions of dollars.” He could not, however, provide any specifics (i.e. dates, amounts) about his father’s personal contributions to the Eric Trump Foundation.
“My father likes to keep some anonymity,” Eric claimed. “It’s who he is. It’s who he is as a person.” (It isn’t.) Undeterred, the Washington Post continued pressing Eric for details about the contributions. He responded on Monday with several examples: In all, the Eric Trump Foundation received $210,000 from the Donald J. Trump Foundation and Trump-owned businesses—that is to say, not actually from Donald Trump.
Asked to explain this discrepancy, Eric wrote, “Just to be clear, I never said no.” (This is not actually “clear,” but apparently what he meant was that he hadn’t said his father hadn’t given the Eric Trump Foundation a personal gift.) “I have a lot going on,” he added, explaining why he wouldn’t be able to come up with anything supporting his earlier claims. “I just don’t have the time. Good luck with the story.”