A few years ago, NBC News hired Chelsea Clinton as a “special correspondent”—which meant, in practice, that Bill and Hillary’s daughter didn’t have to do any actual reporting. It turns out that coddling a child of privilege is very expensive! Politico reported on Friday morning that NBC News paid Clinton $600,000 per year to star in hard-hitting segments such as:
- On Assignment: Chelsea Clinton admires vegetarian stands taken by Stella, Linda McCartney
- On Assignment: Chelsea Clinton reflects on Judy Blume’s impact on her childhood
- Meet the guy in those AT&T ‘It’s Not Complicated’ commercials
- Paul McCartney: Being Stella’s dad, ‘pretty cool’
- ‘Elephants are very human’
The network, which closely guarded the details of Clinton’s compensation, reportedly converted her yearly contract to a month-to-month one several months ago, due to the possibility that Clinton’s mother, Hillary, would formally announce a 2016 presidential campaign sometime in 2014. It’s not clear if that means she’s paid more or less than before.
If you know more, hop in below.
To contact the author of this post, email firstname.lastname@example.org
[Photo credit: Associated Press]