"James Bond is a total concept put together by Ian Fleming. He was white and Scottish. Period," the fussy radio host pouted on his show Tuesday. "That is who James Bond is, was. But now Sony is suggesting that the next James Bond should be Idris Elba, a black Briton, rather than a white from Scotland. But that's not who James Bond is and I know it's racist to probably even point this out."
Of course, the differences between Elba and Ian Fleming's Bond hardly end there. Below are some other key ways the actor diverges from the character as written, all of which surely bother Limbaugh just as much:
- Idris Elba is 6-foot-3. James Bond is 6 feet even.
- James Bond was born in 1920. Idris Elba was born in 1972.
- Idris Elba is famous for playing Stringer Bell on HBO's The Wire. James Bond is famous for defeating Latvian supercriminal Auric Goldfinger, who planned to steal 15 billion dollars in gold bullion from Fort Knox.
- James Bond has blue-gray eyes. Idris Elba has brown eyes.
- Idris Elba is a real person. James Bond is a fictional character played by more than half a dozen different actors over a period of 60 years, only one of whom, it should be noted, was white and Scottish.