Oregon teenager Grant Acord will be charged with attempted aggravated murder after he was found with six bombs in his bedroom, which he allegedly planned to use on an attack on his school.
The 17-year-old Acord was arrested Thursday night in Albany, Oregon, after police received a tip-off that Acord had been working on bombs while planning a Columbine-style attack on his high school.
Benton county district attorney, John Haroldson, told the media that Acord had written plans, made a checklist and also had a timeline for the attack. Investigators found pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails, a Drano bomb and a napalm bomb as well as "a secret compartment that had been created in the floorboards" in Acord's home. Acord will be charged as an adult.
"In any case that you have a young person that in essence plans to take a video game approach to killing people at school, you have to take a close look at the mental health issues," Haroldson said. "And the process will certainly provide for that once he's represented by counsel."
Authorities have not released when Acord had allegedly planned to attack the school, but did say that the attack did seem imminent.
"I can't say enough about how lucky we are that there was an intervention," Haroldson said. "When I look at the evidence in the case, I shudder to think of what could have happened here."
Police are currently searching the school for possible explosives.