The former director of the Urban District Administrative Enforcement Bureau in the city’s Guangming district where the landslide disaster took place December 20, jumped off a residential building Sunday night, the Shenzhen Nanshan District public security bureau said on its official Weibo social media account.
Police only identified him by his family name Xu but Caixin, an influential financial magazine identified the official as Xu Yuan’an.
Police and state media have not said whether Xu had been directly responsible for authorizing the dump.
According to CNN, it appears that Xu was the director of the site as recently as July. “Those responsible for the incident will be seriously punished in accordance with laws and regulations,” a state investigation team said last week.
More than 70 people were still missing in the landslide as of Sunday. Four bodies had been recovered.