According to the Associated Press, a candlelight vigil for 18-year-old Michael Brown, the unarmed Missouri teen who was shot dead by police this weekend, ended in reports of vandalism, looting and arson Sunday night.

Brown was shot dead on Saturday after a confrontation with police, but it's still unclear what happened—by some accounts, Brown had his hands up in the air when he was shot; by others, he was wrestling the officer and trying to grab his service weapon.

Despite the conflicting reports, officials have confirmed that Brown was definitely unarmed and died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds. According to the AP, the officer who shot and killed Brown has been placed on administrative leave pending investigation.

The tension apparently boiled over around 8:30 pm on Sunday in Ferguson, Missouri after a candlelit vigil for Brown, which drew thousands of participants to a busy intersection.

Photographs and video of the chaos began circulating immediately.

According to the AP:

People were seen carrying armloads of goods such as bags of food and toilet paper. TV footage showed streams of people walking out of a liquor store carrying bottles of alcohol, and in some cases protesters were standing atop police cars or taunting officers who stood stoic, often in riot gear.

Other witnesses reported seeing people vandalize police cars and kick in windows. Television footage showed windows busted out of a TV station van.

Local elected official Patricia Bynes also posted on Twitter that gunshots were fired at police late Sunday night.

Despite the widespread reports, Ferguson officials are telling reporters the criminal activity is limited to a small group.

"Right now, the small group of people are creating a huge mess," Ferguson's mayor, James Knowles, told St. Louis KTVI-TV. "Contributing to the unrest that is going on is not going to help. ... We're only hurting ourselves, only hurting our community, hurting our neighbors. There's nothing productive from this."

[ h/t The Blaze, the AP]