Robert Durst Pleads Not Guilty to Gun Charges 

Everyone's favorite alleged murderer Robert Durst pleaded not guilty to gun charges in Louisiana today. The real estate heir and compulsive blinker was indicted by a grand jury yesterday on one count of possession of a firearm as a felon and one count possessing a firearm in the presence of a controlled substance.

“I am not guilty, your honor," Durst told the judge today, according to the Los Angeles Times.

“On both counts?” the judge asked.

Advertisement

“Yes,” Durst said.

NBC News reports that an evidentiary hearing has been set for May 7. If convicted, Durst faces sentences of up to 20 years for both charges.

Sponsored

[Image via AP]

Robert Durst Indicted on Gun Charges in Louisiana, Murder Case Delayed

Robert Durst will face felony gun charges stemming from his arrest last month in New Orleans. The Times-Picayune reports that an Orleans Parish grand jury indicted the real estate heir Wednesday on one count of possession of a firearm as a felon and one count possessing a firearm in the presence of a controlled substance.

When Durst was arrested at a New Orleans hotel on March 14, FBI agents allegedly found a loaded .38 handgun in his room, along with a small amount of marijuana, a latex mask, and $42,000 in cash.

Advertisement

Criminal District Court Judge Arthur Hunter reportedly ordered Durst to be held without bond. If convicted of the charges, he faces between five and 20 years in prison.

Sponsored

According to the Wrap, the indictment will indefinitely delay Durst's extradition to California, where he's facing murder charges for the 2000 killing of his former friend, Susan Berman.


Image via AP. Contact the author at taylor@gawker.com.

Reply45 replies
Leave a reply