Jon Stewart Spends Some of Stephen Colbert's PAC Money, with Help from Mario Batali

Last week, Jon Stewart took over Stephen Colbert's Super PAC and now he has to find ways to spend all that money. But, since they can't coordinate with each other, Colbert must give Stewart coded messages while being interviewed on television, exactly like Newt Gingrich must do. Apparently the answer was having…
Crybaby Bankers Boycott Mario Batali After He Calls Them Hitlers
Celebrity chef Mario Batali indelicately compared "the entire banking industry" to "Stalin or Hitler and the evil guys" at a Time panel on Tuesday. A poor choice of metaphor, for sure—especially when you consider that bankers make up a significant portion of the customer base at Batali's high-end New York restaurants.…
Mario Batali Hates Dr. Oz's Daughter
Six weeks ago, ABC replaced All My Children with a new food-focused daytime talk show called The Chew. Hosted by Mario Batali, fellow Iron Chef Michael Symon, Top Chef favorite Carla Hall, What Not to Wear's Clinton Kelly and Daphne Oz (daughter of Dr. Mehmet Oz), it's a combination of The View and Rachael Ray—but…
Jon Stewart Exposes Peter King's Hypocritical Anti-Muslim Agenda
Rep. Peter King recently stated that he would hold Congressional hearings to question American muslims who, he believed, hadn't done enough to stop terrorism. But what about King's own ties to the Irish Republican Army? Tonight, Jon Stewart investigated.
Mario Batali and Business Partners Sued by Angry Waitstaff
Rotund, Croc-clad celebrity chef Mario Batali, who also works part-time as Gwyneth Paltrow's spirit guide, is being sued by the waiters and busboys at his highly regarded New York restaurant Del Posto. The staffers claim their tips were pooled illegally.
Greedy Lawyers Want Famous Restaurants to Pay Workers Correctly
Across New York City, our wealthiest restaurateurs are under assault from the poors—and their lawyers! Many celeb chefs you know and love from television are being sued for ripping off their workers. Where's tort reform when Morimoto needs it?
Ex-Employees Say Mario Batali Stiffed Them Out of Tips, Overtime
Mario Batali might be in hot water. Two ex-employees have filed a possible class-action suit against the celebrity chef, claiming that for years he's been underpaying workers and bilking them out of tips and overtime.
Capsolas and Alvarado v. Pasta Resources, Inc.
Two former employees have filed this class-action suit against celebrity chef Mario Batali and business partner Joseph Bastianich, accusing them of withholding tips and violating minimum wage and overtime laws.
Iron Chef America Takes a Trip to the White House
After three months of heavy promotion, Food Network finally aired what was pegged to be the greatest Iron Chef ever. The secret ingredient—White House vegetables—was apparently of "national importance." Here are four things we learned during the special.
• Vong closes tomorrow. Moving in is Wolfgang's Steakhouse. [JGV via Eater]
• Mario Batali says he decided to change up Del Posto because he's planning to get a second Michelin star and a four-star Times review this year. [TONY]
• Rumor has it Scott Conant may take over the Table 8 space. [Eater]
• The Mermaid Inn…
Mario Batali Will Amaze You with His 'Dick-Tator'
What's Mario Batali dressing up this Halloween? "Mario will be a 'dictator,'" a spokeswoman says. "He ties a piece of butcher twine to his belt on one end and a Yukon gold potato on the other." Points for cleverness! [Previously]
Demi Moore's New, International Twitter War
Demi Moore won't respond to the British Prime Minister's wife. Victoria Beckham won't respond to questions about her tits. And Hugh Hefner doesn't respond well to his wife's infidelity. Oh, yes, it's your Thursday morning Gossip Roundup!
Eating & Drinking: Wednesday Edition
• The Shake Shack expansion cannot be stopped. Late last week, word dropped that Danny Meyer's burger chain was planning to open seven locations in the Middle East and three new outposts in Manhattan; today comes word that the first of these three will be at the corner of Mulberry and Prince Streets.
• A Voce will…
Happy Birthday
Chef and Food Network fixture Mario Batali turns 48 today. Adam Sandler is turning 43. Hugh Grant is 49. Michelle Williams is turning 29. Retired football great Joe Theismann is 60. Singer Michael Bublé is turning 34. Actor Tom Wopat is 58. And '90s model Rachel Hunter celebrates her 40th birthday today.
Eating & Drinking: Tuesday Edition
• Anita Lo hopes to re-open her fire-damaged Annisa next month. [TONY]
• Closings: Frederick Lesort's Frederick's Downtown closed up shop last Friday; and the UWS outpost of Blondies has been shuttered by the tax cops.
• Frank Bruni shares his thoughts on Bastianich and Batali's Casa Mono. [NYT]
• A rooftop beer…
Eating & Drinking: Monday Edition
• A round up of eateries that recently opened, or will open this week. [Eater]
• Una Pizza Napoletana has closed its doors. It will become the first Manhattan outpost of the Williamsburg pizzeria Motorino in a few weeks. [NYT]
• Le Bernardin's Eric Ripert was tasked with cooking (beef, not fish) for French president…
The LES Goes On Sale, Rihanna Sports a New Look
• A group of 21 stores on the Lower East Side are coming together to offer a weekend of discounts in honor of the (capsule) trade show that's currently underway. [Pipeline, Cut]
• Modeling rates really must falling: A Hugo Boss model has been charged for taking part in the robberies of 15 gas stations and delis. [NYP]
…
