Last month, the pilot of missing Flight 370 reportedly deleted information from his custom-built flight simulator. At a press conference on Wednesday, Malaysian officials said investigators are trying to recover the data to see if it offers any potential clues about the plane's mysterious disappearance twelve days ago.
"The experts are looking at what are the logs, what has been cleared," Tan Sri Khalid Bin Abu Bakar, the inspector-general of the police, said, according to the New York Times. Bakar said Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah's files were deleted on February 3, about five weeks before Flight 370 vanished.
While the investigation has shifted focus to include the plane's crew, Malaysia's defense minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, cautioned reporters that the pilot and crew remain innocent until proven guilty, adding that their family members have cooperated with authorities.
"For the sake of their families, I ask that we refrain from any unnecessary speculation that might make an already difficult time even harder," he said.
Hussein also said that all passengers except for three had been cleared by investigators.
"We have received passengers' background checks from all countries apart from Ukraine and Russia," he said. "There were two Ukrainians and one Russian on the plane."
Just before Wednesday's press conference in Kuala Lumpur began, two Chinese relatives of missing passengers held up a banner that said "Truth" and began shouting.
"I want you to help me to find my son!" one woman yelled. Both were dragged from the room in front of reporters.
[Image via AP]