A family from Dora, Alabama, lost their home after the owners decided to try and clean up toilet paper by lighting it on fire.
The Crausewell’s residence was toilet papered, or “TP’d,” in teen lingo, over the weekend. Cheryl Crausewell and her son spent Monday cleaning up the mess, which was all over the house and yard, and were attempting to remove the TP from their magnolia tree when they decided it would be easier to just light the damn thing on fire. According to Cheryl,
It just popped out into a little patch and we tried to put it out and it just kept going, so I was trying to keep it from going down the front porch and [it] came down the bank and around the back of the house.
Literally adding fuel to the fire was the propane tank in their backyard that also caught on fire. After that, the flames quickly engulfed the house and burned it to the ground. Luckily, everyone who was inside at the time made it out safely, and the family has homeowner’s insurance that will allow them to rebuild on the same property.
Sylvie Krekow is a writer in New York.