One of America's strangest educational rituals—assessing which of our nation's fucked-up college students get the most fucked up—is upon us again. And this year, Iowa City's University of Iowa has been picked by the Princeton Review as the drunkest and raging-est institute of higher learning the United States has to offer. Congratulations, U of I! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!
The Review reaches its annual conclusions about which campuses party hardest based on a survey of more than 125,000 college students, according to the Associated Press. The rest of the top 10 party schools list goes as follows:
2. University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
4. West Virginia University, Morgantown W. Va.
5. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
6. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
7. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
8. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
9. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
10. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
Unsurprisingly, the top sober school was Mormon institution Brigham Young University.
The AP notes that the University of Iowa has won the top prize this year despite a concerted effort on behalf of the school's administrators to curb binge drinking, an effort that's had some success: "The percentage of Iowa students who reported drinking in the last 30 days (75 percent) was the lowest in 20 years of studies, even if it was above the national average."
As an Arizonan who remembers the glory days when Arizona State University students would become ensnared in drunken gonzo pornography parties, I must say it's a shame to see how far partying in my home state has fallen. Neither Arizona State nor the University of Arizona made this year's top 20. Also, where's Occidental?
[Image via AP]