Woman Finds Toad in Can of Green Beans

Last month, Gloria Chubb prepared one of her standard dinners: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans from the can. When she set the food down to the table, her son scooped some of each dish onto his plate before stopping as he served himself from the bowl of green beans.

“My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?'” Chubb told CBS News. “I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes.”

She picked the mystery chunk from the bowl to inspect it. “I took it out, and it was a toad,” she said, laughing, “with parts of his little legs in the green beans.”

Chubb took the can and the dead toad to the St. Joseph County Health Department. Rita Hooten, the department's food service manager, said the frog was inadvertently picked up during the green bean's harvest. “When the green beans were picked from the field, [the toad] got put in the conveyor line and accidentally got placed in the can of green beans,” she said.

Meijer, the company that produced the can, gave Chubb a check for $50 and a letter of apology. The company also issued a statement: "We sincerely regret this customer's experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident."

Chubb thinks the company should do more to protect their customers. "I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables," she said. "I mean anything can happen you know but a whole frog?"

And while she's now able to laugh at the incident, Chubb certainly wasn't amused at the time. “I was sick, absolutely nauseated for two days,” she said. “I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon.”

Woman Finds Toad in Can of Green Beans

[CBS News/ABC 57]