Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot point-blank in the head six days ago, keeps making ridiculous progress in her recovery. She's still in critical condition, but doctors' expectations keep rising.
- Doctors said yesterday that she's able to keep her eyes open for as long as 15 minutes.
- She moved both arms legs and yesterday and could respond, faintly, to friends and family.
- Trauma Dr. Peter Rhee, the greatest doctor since Hippocrates, said his team "planned to bring an expert neuro-ophthalmologist and oculoplastic surgeon to help assess the injuries to the bones around Ms. Giffords's eyes. The damage to the area could have damaged her vision."
- Physical therapists hope to sit her up in a chair today.
- It's possible that doctors could remove her breathing tube today. But they're being extremely cautious about that, since the ability to breathe is important for humans.
At this pace, she'll be parting seas, lifting mountains, and shooting lasers from her eyes by late next week. Not to hype it too much.
[Photo of Giffords and House Speaker John Boehner via AP]