Creed has sold something like 30 million albums in the United States, but today lead singer Scott Stapp revealed that he is "penniless" and living in a Holiday Inn.
That is according to a 15-minute video titled "Public Statement #1," which you can watch over on his Facebook page. According to Stapp, he recently looked over his finances and realized that his money had been secretly stolen. Via Rolling Stone:
"About eight weeks ago, I began an audit of not only my record company but my personal finances," Stapp says. "During the course of that audit, a lot of things were uncovered. A lot of money was stolen from me, or royalties not paid, and that's when all hell began to break loose."
He says further that he was recently living in his truck without money for food or gas.
Earlier this week, the Miami Herald reported that Stapp's wife, ex-Miss USA Jaclyn Stapp, filed for divorce and asked for full custody of the couple's children. In her filing, Jaclyn released recent text messages she says she received from Scott, including:
▪ "Florida is not safe. Biological weapons on the way. U have to leave with kids and meet me in Atlanta."
▪ "I'm coming to get you Satan and children. No mercy. You know how this ends. God created you and now God is ending you."
▪ "God is also telling me something about Palm Springs and Nashville so there's a connection somehow. He's also telling me DEA for some reason."
▪ "Wells Fargo working out my account problems. I'm out of gas. Haven't eaten all day. I'm asking if they can spot me $1,000 so I don't fall over from malnutrition."
▪ "I wouldn't doubt it if the CIA is behind Alcoholics Anonymous."
Jaclyn says in the divorce papers that Stapp has recently been using drugs. In the video posted to Facebook, Stapp insists he is sober.
[image via Getty]