An "unsanctioned fraternity pledging event" hosted by Baruch College students turned deadly after one of the pledges suffered brain trauma during a hazing ritual known as the "Glass Ceiling Game."

Some 30 members of the Manhattan-based school's Pi Delta Psi chapter had been staying at a vacation home in the Poconos for a weekend "group retreat" when the incident took place.

The Asian-American frat was reportedly rushing a four-person pledge class without the college's knowledge.

Freshman Chun Hsien “Michael” Deng, one of the pledges, was participating in a backyard hazing ritual when he sustained life-threatening injuries.

CBS 2 describes the so-called "Glass Ceiling Game" as follows:

Pledges are blindfolded and a bowling ball-type weight is put into a bag and tied to their backs. They are then forced to walk through a human “tunnel” while others try to tackle them. The goal is to make it all way through the tunnel.

Police sources told Brown Deng was knocked down several times during the game, causing his injuries.

Authorities in Tunkhannock Township say the frat members took the injured 19-year-old into the house, but did not call 911.

It was only "after some time" that someone bothered to drive Deng to the closest hospital.

Deng, who suffered major brain trauma, was subsequently placed on life support, but ultimately passed away on Monday.

The fraternity's National Executive President called the event "unsanctioned" and "strictly prohibited," and condemned the hazing.

Pi Delta Psi pledging has since been suspended across all chapters pending the results of an investigation.

Baruch College released its own statement, saying it has "a zero tolerance policy regarding hazing" — a policy which Pi Delta Psi has sworn to abide by.

"Michael’s death is a deeply painful reminder that no individual should ever be put into a position where his or her personal safety is in jeopardy," the college's statement continued. "Our deepest sympathies go out to Michael’s family and his friends both at Baruch and at home."

Baruch also announced that the fraternity's rights and privileges had been suspended indefinitely.

[screengrab via CBS New York]