In the new based-on-a-true-story film from Precious director Lee Daniels (also of Nicole Kidman/Zac Efron Pee Movie fame), Oprah Winfrey plays Gloria Gaines, wife of Cecil Gaines, a fictional White House butler whose real life counterpart, Eugene Allen, worked through the terms of eight U.S. Presidents from 1952 to 1986. The film is called The Butler. Forrest Whitaker plays the butler.
Flirting with strangers is nerve-wracking. You don't want your flirts to come across as boring, but walking the tightrope between "intriguing" and "crazy" can be perilous. Even seasoned pros occasionally skew toward the latter. Take Cuba Gooding, Jr., for example. On Monday, he told a lady at a party that his name was Dick McWilly AND that he'd just gotten out of jail AND that he'd had sex with a leprechaun.
Christy Turlington celebrates her 40th today. Taye Diggs is turning 37. Kate Bosworth is turning 26. Former Times reporter Judy Miller is 61. Loews CEO Jim Tisch is 56. Restaurateur Michael Lomonaco is turning 54. Marshall Rose, real estate developer and husband of Candice Bergen, is 72. Actress Paz Vega is 32. Cuba Gooding Jr. is 41. Former House speaker Dennis Hastert is 67. And Michael Bloomberg's mother, Charlotte, celebrates 100 today. Weekend birthdays after the jump.
PrivacyWatch celebrity sightings are submitted by the loyal readers of Defamer. We'd like to remind you that this feature is powered by you, so if you want to see more installments of PrivacyWatch, then all you've got to do is to send us your sightings. Submit yours to tips[AT]defamer.com (please put "sighting" or "PrivacyWatch" in the subject line so we don't lose them) and tell everyone about the time you saw Britney Spears huffing smokes while eating poolside chicken fingers.
Some commenters are just so gosh-darn helpful in relaying the kind of information that we absolutely need to know to, as they say, move the story forward, that they deserve an award: the Helpful Critter award. Oh, and while we're at it, we've decided to execute people whose comments this week make them decidedly Unhelpful Critters. Go back from whence you came!
PrivacyWatch celebrity sightings are submitted by our readers, and are posted several times a week, so them in often. Submit yours to tips[AT]defamer.com (please put "sighting" or "PrivacyWatch" in the subject line) and tell everyone about the time Tommy Lee was kind enough to shake unwashed, pee-tainted hands with all his Dodger Stadium fans.
PrivacyWatch celebrity sightings are submitted by our readers, and are posted several times a week, so them in often. Submit yours to tips[AT]defamer.com (please put "sighting" or "PrivacyWatch" in the subject line) and tell everyone about the time you spotted a grocery-shopping Larry Birkhead getting a head start on Dannielynn's food-dependency issues.
On Memorial Day, Oscar-winner and Horatio Sanz's onetime gay-cruising partner Cuba Gooding Jr. had pulled up to Roscoe's House of Chicken n Waffles on Gower to pick up some deep-fried dinner for the family. What followed, reports Gatecrasher, was an astounding act of celebrity selflessness, as a quick-thinking Cuba leaped to the aid of a young gunshot victim:
If you wonder why there was an epidemic of Oscar-related humility this year, particularly coming from blogger-against-his-will George Clooney, one need only look as far as his fellow Best Supporting Actor winner, Cuba Gooding Jr., who recently admitted his own hubris caused him to perhaps make some not-so-smart career choices following his win:
· Playboy TV is filming bondage aerobics babe Mistress Victoria's "Slavercise!" class at Manitoba's on Avenue B tonight, followed by a performance by the Sex Slaves band. [Page Six]
· Hours author, Michael Cunningham: "I'm probably the only author in America who loves what the movies did for his book." [Page Six]
· Al Pacino on Robert De Niro's recent movie choices: "I think he needs cash." [Cindy Adams]
· Overheard in Jaded, a jewelry boutique in the '80s: "I finally knew the economy was really in bad shape when Tiffany began selling colored beads." [Cindy Adams]
· No wire hangers, EVER!: Penelope Cruz collects coat hangers and owns 500 of different types. [Liz Smith]
· Chelsea Clinton's final job offer: $120,000 with a $10,000 signing bonus. [Liz Smith]
· Cuba Gooding, Jr. spotted Sunday, standing outside a downtown club, pretending to be a doorman and telling people to move away. [NY Daily News]