A 39-year-old woman died of a pulmonary embolism after injecting herself with Vaseline in a home breast augmentation gone wrong.

Sonia Perez Llanzon had difficulty breathing in the weeks after she injected her breasts with petroleum jelly, reports Rosario, Argentina newspaper La Capital. When she went to the hospital, doctors found a blood clot in her lungs, caused by the Vaseline entering her bloodstream.

Llanzon died March 6, after a month-long hospital stay.

"She denied everything at first but then confessed she had injected Vaseline into [her breasts]," said Julio Pla, Head of Surgery at the hospital where Llanzon was treated.

"I've never seen a case like this. The human body has antibodies to remove bacteria and viruses but it hasn't got any mechanisms against this type of product."

Llanzon was in good health prior to the botched home operation. The Huffington Post reports she was a marathon runner and boxer.

She's not the first to use petroleum jelly in a failed home augmentation: Vaseline penile injections have been a dangerous trend in Asia for some time.

[H/T: HuffPo, Photo Credit: Facebook]